Monday, April 15, 2013

How to Make Your Flight Less Miserable


Let's be real, air travel can be pretty uncomfortable sometimes. I have never really been bothered by it, I'm 5'4" and I fit in the seats pretty comfortably but my 6'1" husband does not! So anywhere we go we opt for extended leg room or business/first class if it's within reason (which it usually isn't). On our last trip to Hawaii I was finally affected by the long flight. The flight from Honolulu to Houston was over night and I fell asleep and didn't move once. So when I got up my feet where swollen! What the @*?! Guess I am starting to get old! :P
{More leg room!}


Quick change
Try and make all your seat/flight changes and have your questions answered prior to getting to your gate. You can call the airline in advance to see if you can move seats or help you out with any other questions you may have.

Loyalty matters
You'll want to join a loyalty program so you can get those free upgrades into business or first class. You'll be more comfortable and get better perks and treatment. AND you'll get much better sleep!

p.s. to get more miles get a rewards credit card from your favorite airline!

Carry on
Checked bags can be expensive these days. If we didn't have our rewards card that allowed us each to have one free checked bag we would ALWAYS try and make it with just our carry ons. I will either take my small rolling suitcase or a backpack and then a large purse. I always prefer to do carry on anyway because my number one fear when traveling is the airline losing my luggage or it being delayed.

Smart security
Ugh, make sure you know the TSA rules before even getting to airport. There is nothing more frustrating than waiting in that line and they guy in front of you goes, "you mean I have to take my belt off too?!" DUDE! Have you not traveled in the past decade?!?! COME ON! That is what I want to yell at people that do that.

In a perfect world I wish they would have 3 lines. Line 1 - People under the age of 65 traveling without children. Line 2 - People traveling with children ages 0 - 13 (all others go to Line 1). And Line 3 - People over the age of 65 and people with disabilities.

Hear no evil
Always have some earplugs when you get on a plane. Whether you plan on getting some sleep or not, you never know when you're going to have crying baby in the seat behind you.

Hydration, hydration, hydration
You should always have water with you, not just while you're on a plane. But staying hydrated it key in staying healthy while on a flight. Once when I was flying from Frankfurt back to Houston I caught a full blown cold about 2 hrs into my 10 hr flight! IT-WAS-AWFUL! You definitely don’t want to get sick while on a plane where you can't lay down and curl up and get some good sleep.   

{Drink 2 of these a day!}
Fliers’ digest
I always try to eat before we go to the airport because the food at the airport and on the plane is a) not good for you and b) expensive! Try not to have a full stomach when you get on the plane, those bathrooms are small and about 100+ or so people are sharing it with you!

{This was like $7.50}
Temperature control
You never know what the temperature is going to be like while your 35,000 feet up in the air. I always bring a jacket or hoodie and I can either use it to keep me warm or as a pillow. And if you jacket does have a hood then you can use it to keep the light out of your face while catch some z's! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...