Monday, January 12, 2015

Maternity Monday

So I decided that I wanted to blog a little about my pregnancy on this blog...after all, it too is a journey just like traveling. 

I'm not sure why I feel the need to share but I think people take comfort in knowing that other people out there had had similar experiences to theirs. So, this is the beginning of our pregnancy story…

I recently listed to an audio copy of American Sniper and I like how Chris Kyle described how he and his wife got pregnant for the first time. It was something along the lines of, "… all we had to do was kiss without protection and we were pregnant."

That is pretty much how it happened for us too.

The summer of 2014 was when we decided to start to try. And like I said above, it didn't take much time at all. 5 days after my missed cycle I took the test (p.s. I also took one 4 days before my expected cycle and the test was negative).

On September 19th I found out I was going to be a mom…whoa!

How was I feeling at this stage, 4 weeks pregnant? I was feeling pretty normal; I had a few symptoms like acne and hunger. Also, if you had laser hair removal all that hair is going to come back in full force! If I had known that I probably would not have done it before kids. 

Moving on… Week 7… What was going on with me during week 7? Two words, MORNING SICKNESS! And folks, it isn't pretty. I ended up having to take multiple days off from work, was prescribed some nausea medication, and I was trying all sorts of anti-nausea tricks. I tried everything from ginger ale, to ginger gum, eating whole pieces of ginger, peppermints, you name it. The one thing that has really worked for me was the motion sickness wrist bands that most people use when they go on cruises. Also, another thing that has made me feel better was sleeping on the floor. Yep, that’s right, the floor. I made myself a little cot with workout mats, sleeping bags, blankets and pillows. While on the floor it seemed I was able to keep a consistent temperature, no hot/cold flashes, and I had less nausea. If I could have slept next to the toilet I would have...

Before I was expecting I had high hopes for myself during this time. I wanted to keep working out (previously I had been working out 150 minutes a week) and I wanted to be healthy and eat the right things. Well that all went downhill quick! The few things I could manage to keep down were carbs, at this point I had consumed very little meat and I could manage some apples here and there. And working out…well I haven’t really at all. I take walks when the weather is nice and I have taken a few yoga classes. I am bummed because working out gives you endorphin's and endorphin's make you happy (and happy people don’t shoot their husbands…Legally Blonde anyone?).

So did it get any better after week 7? That’s a big fat NOPE! During week 9 we made a trip to the ER and that’s when I was diagnosed with Hyperemesis Gravidarum. I could not keep anything down for 48 hours, even water. I'm almost certain that as soon as anything hit my stomach it was coming back up.

We spent about 5-6 hours there while I finished up an IV bag and had some liquid Zofran pumped into me. And once they ran my blood work, urine sample and I could keep down a cup of juice I was released. They gave me some paperwork which stated not to take anything with extra iron in it so my prenatal vitamins needed to change to prescription ones. And the ER doctor told me to take my Zofran medication more frequently. This seemed to help A LOT!

Today we are over half way there and we'll soon be parents. With a little bit of morning sickness still lingering and a 20 pound heavier belly I wish you a happy Monday!



See my previous posts about pregnancy here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...